- Open through April 22; results will be published in the city budget at the end of May
AGING IN SALEM SURVEY
- Part of the Age-Friendly Network by the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) and the World Health Organization (WHO)
- To help prepare a strategic plan for making Salem age-friendly
- For residents 50 and older
- Cable removal on Derby Street is set to start March 22 and finish by mid-May
- Updates and newsletter at www.salemcableproject.com; or call 844-SALEM-CABLE
- to start soon (entrance corridors and streets)
CITIZENS' POLICE ACADEMY
- Starts March 30, runs ten Wednesday evening
- Download application at http://salempd.org/
- Do you have any styrofoam to recycle this month? Items must be clean, and packing peanuts are not accepted. Please contact Anna at email@example.com> by Friday, March 18 to arrange a drop-off or pick-up. For more information on acceptable types of foam, see Refoamit's website: http://www.refoamit.com/foam-we-recycle/
NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
- The Friendship has been down-rigged and will undergo repairs. It is expected to return in the summer with an anticipated fall completion.
- The Orientation Center is moving to the Armory on Liberty Street location and the current site is to become a retail store and will be open later hours. Anticipated opening is May 2016.
- They have received a grant to provide programming to connect children/families to the waterfront. Among the activities is a canoe/kayak event.
- Current Chief Jonathan Parker is moving to the Valley Forge site; his replacement is expected to be on board by October.
- The House of the Seven Gable is celebrating the anniversary of Miss Caroline Emmerton’s 150th birthday with several events beginning with the Caroline Emmerton exhibit opening on April 8th.
- Take the tour of The Secret Staircase and see original structure of the H7G.
- Joe Skomurski and Larry Frej presented the plans for the renovation of 114 Derby Street, the former Settlement House.
- The plan is for 6 condos of varying size and design, on-site parking, and extensive landscaping. All is pending approval by the Zoning Board.
- The proposed plans will be available on the HDSNA website and Facebook when they become available.
- Noah Flaherty addressed the ongoing humming noise coming from the marina. It is coming from the wind whistling up a mast. They have moved the boat but the humming continues and they are still working on a solution.
- They will keep the HDSNA updated on this and other projects.
- Contact info:
o Noah Flaherty: firstname.lastname@example.org
o Bob McCarthy: email@example.com
A HISTORY OF DERBY STREET
Dolores Jordan, Phyllis Luzinski, and Ed Zielinski presented a most enjoyable walk down Derby Street and the Derby Street Neighborhood. Dolores, Phyllis and Ed grew up in the neighborhood and reminisced about growing up in the area and all the people and businesses that once graced Derby Street and the neighborhood.
- April 11
- Footprint and Salem Cable Project