From: Robert K McCarthy
Councillor Ward One
The City of Salem has declared a Snow Emergency that will be in effect as of 10:00PM, on SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 21st until further notice.
Please remember that during the Snow Emergency a parking ban is in effect, and vehicles must be totally removed from city streets and sidewalks throughout the entire duration of the snow emergency or your vehicle will be ticketed and towed.
Also, please note that vehicles must be removed from public and private parking lots, particularly at schools, immediately following the cancellation of the snow emergency (weekends included) or your car will be towed.
(FYI: It is the policy of the DPS that snow removal will not take place in alternative parking areas, particularly at parks, until snow operations on city streets are completed. Please plan your vehicular needs accordingly.)
We would also like to thank you in advance for shoveling your sidewalks and ask that you also clear the snow around the hydrants near your property so that they can be accessible to firefighters in case of an emergency.
Also, please be aware, snowplowing, shoveling, or throwing snow back onto the street when clearing driveways and sidewalks is prohibited by City Ordinance and violators can be fined.
For information when the snow emergency parking ban will end, please consult the City of Salem's website www.salem.com or call the Snow Emergency Line at Salem Police Department at 978-744-0171, ext. 166.
Other Important Snow Information:
The removal of the snow and ice from sidewalks is greatly appreciated. This will help school children, the elderly, and the general public from having to walk in the street. The City of Salem clears designated sidewalks following each storm. It takes time to accomplish this task and it is only done after all the roads have been cleared.
There are city ordinances requiring property owners to remove snow and ice from their bordering sidewalks within six hours after the snow ceases to fall or the city's snow emergency lights are turned off, whichever time is later. ~If the snow ceases to fall and the snow emergency lights are turned off in the nighttime, the snow shall be removed before 12:00 noon. If he/she neglects to do so, he/she shall be fined $25 for 1st offense, $75 for 2nd offense and $100 for 3rd and subsequent offenses.
While the Department of Public Services tries to minimize the amount of snow that gets plowed across driveways and exits, it is unavoidable. Clearing driveway openings is the responsibility of the property owner.
- Plow blades cannot be lifted as they pass by a driveway.
- Unfortunately, snow will be plowed into driveways as we perform curb-to-curb plowing.
- You may wish to clear your driveway several times during the storm or wait until the storm and plowing activities have ended.
- Museum Place Parking Garage*
- South Harbor Garage*
- Blaney Street Parking Lot (Salem Ferry Landing),
- Forest River Park,
- Gallows Hill lower,
- Mack Park,
- Broad Street Playground,Castle Hill Playground,
- Salem Willows Park,
- the Bentley School Lot,
- the Carlton School Lot,
- the Witchcraft Heights School Lot,
- the Bates School Lot,
- the Saltonstall parking area on Salem Street only,
- and the Collins Middle School - Jackson Street parking area.
Snowplowing, shoveling, or throwing snow back onto the street when clearing driveways and sidewalks is prohibited by City Ordinance and violators can be fined $75 for 1st offense, $150 for 2nd offense and $200 for 3rd and subsequent offenses.
Help us stop street flooding by shoveling out catch basins near your home.
There are many Fire Hydrants in the City of Salem. Please help us Keep Salem Safe by shoveling around the hydrant near your home.
ALTERNATIVE DESIGNATED PARKING AREAS
The City of Salem offers alternative designated parking areas that include the following:
* During a snow emergency, parking in the city garages is $5/24 hours, or any fraction thereof. Vehicles should be removed from the garage by the close of business the day the snow emergency concludes. Vehicles left in the garage after that time will begin to accrue charges at the regular hourly parking rate.